Tuesday 30 October 2018

Dinner Diary - The Inevitable Rabbit and Pumpkin Mulligatawny

So on Sunday things got weird when I roasted a whole pumpkin with a rabbit curry in it. That was absolutely delicious but rather more food that you need for one meal, so on Monday the remains were stripped off into a pan to make soup. It made a really nice and basically almost free dinner for a week day.



So the rabbit stripped from the bones, the curry sauce with mushrooms, nuts, raisins and everything else tipped in, and the pumpkin skinned (the skin comes off easily after baking) and crudely crushed in the hand and tipped into a stock pot. 



All you need to do then is add some stock (I cheated and used a chicken stock cube), some more spice (whatever you want - I added some ground coriander and some garam masala mix), boil it for a while, check the seasoning (I needed to add a little more salt and some lemon juice) and thats it. A fast, easy and ridiculously substantial week-day dinner. Is it a real mulligatawny? I have no idea, the original version of the dish is, I'm sure, delicious, but its something that has become so Anglicised and adapted over almost two centuries that it kind of doesn't matter. I do know that whenever you end up with too much curry, if it was good to begin with, you can probably turn it into a soup the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment